What causes my alarm to false activate?
False alarms are usually caused by PIR’s detecting heat movement from something other than people, such as:
- Insects or spiders: If they walk close enough to the lens, the PIR will activate, some are even found inside the detector. The best way to minimize this is to keep the PIR clean and free of cobwebs.
- Pets: If you are leaving your pets in the house when you arm the alarm you must ensure that Pet-Immune PIR’s are installed.
- Direct sunlight: PIR detectors must be positioned away from direct sunlight during installation.
- Open fireplaces: Heat can be generated from open fires long after the fire has been extinguished. PIR detectors must be positioned away from open fires during installation.
- Harsh environments: Rooms such as workshops, warehouses or garages can attract drafts which can cause standard PIR’s to false activate. Dual-technology (PIR and Microwave) detectors are recommended in harsh environments, where heat movement of a solid object is required to cause the sensor to trigger.
Book a Free Estimation
Have a Questions?We are always ready to offer a free calculation under your individual project