How to Prevent a House Fire
Useful tips to Prevent a House Fire
Kitchen — isn’t only the coziest place in the house, but also the most dangerous. To avoid tragic incidents and injuries, you mustn’t forget about safety rules. We hope this information will help you to enjoy cooking.
What makes cooking dangerous
Every out of five fires in the houses start in the kitchens. Kitchen fires are very dangerous. 15% of deaths caused by fire and 38% of burns happen in this room. Electric and gas ovens, microwaves and other modern inventions need your attention. Simultaneous performance of several cases in the kitchen isn’t the best idea. The disregarded cooking is the most common cause of ignitions in the kitchen. Cook food only when you are concentrated — the strong fatigue or alcoholic intoxication can play a dangerous joke with you.
But fire isn't the main cause of burns in kitchen. Much more often you can be injured by rings, pans and frying pans and hot liquids, oil or steam. And, what is even worse, children under 5 are the most vulnerable to such burns.
Unguarded frying pan can catch fire just in a few seconds. The grease fire can begin if oil in the pan you cook in is warmed too much. When oil heats up, firstly it starts to boil, then to smoke, and afterwards an ignition initiates. Most of vegetable oils begin to smoke at a temperature of 232 °C (450°F) while animal fats (such as lard or goose fat) begin to smoke at a temperature of 191 °C (370 °F). The oil doesn’t catch fire immediately after it starts smoking, but it’s a danger sign that’s it’s going to.
How to make cooking safe.
Prevention is much better and cheaper solution than waiting until the issue arises.
Follow these simple rules and cook with pleasure.
- Always try to keep an eye on the pan while cooking with grease.
- Whenever you heat oil or other fats stay in the kitchen.
- Frying something use a heavy pan with a lid that fits.
- Keep away cartons, plastic containers from cooking surface.
- When you remove a frying pan from fire, do not forget to put it on a fire-resistant surface.
- And remember: it is dangerous to store flammable substances, old rags, papers in kitchen. Use metal boxes if it’s necessary to keep them in the kitchen.
- Don’t forget to put on protective mittens while cooking with hot oil.
Extinguishing a Grease fire
If the worst happens and oil catches fire, don’t panic and follow these rules.
- Estimate safety of the situation. Your own and your family’s safety is much more important than safety of your house. You’ve got only a few moments either to fight against fire or to escape it. If fire hasn't managed to spread yet, and ignition is still limited to contents of a frying pan, you can extinguish it on your own. If the flame has extended around the kitchen, immediately bring everybody out of the house and call firefighters. You shouldn't endanger their lives.
- The very first step is to switch off the cooker as fire needs high temperature. Don't try to move a pan because you can accidentally scatter the burning fat on yourself, on a kitchen surface or on someone on your way.
- After you have switched off the gas or electricity, cover the pan with something to block oxygen intake for a flame. The easiest way to stop ignition is to cover a pan with a lid. Being covered and switched off the flame will soon spend all the oxygen and extinguish. Don't use glass lids, they can break down because of high temperature of fire.
- If burning oil is sprayed, and the cooker burns too, it is necessary to use a wet rag to cover fire. This wet rag is strictly forbidden to be removed before oil gets cool completely, otherwise access of air can help fire to run high again.
- If the flame expands, strew baking soda on it. Soda absorbs oxygen. You need a large amount of soda. It is possible to put out small fire using baking soda, but if a flame is large, it doesn't help.
- Use the chemical fire extinguisher if it’s possible. It can be used for suppression of an oil flame. But do not forget that chemicals are harmful as they can get on food therefore it is better to resort to this method as the last way when the situation becomes dangerous. It’s better to use a Class K extinguisher to put out kitchen fires, but they are usually available only in commercial kitchens.
- Wait as far as the flame goes out and the pan cools down to touch it. Call firefighters if you are afraid to approach fire or you don't know what to do. Don't endanger yourself in order to rescue your kitchen.
- When you remove the burning frying pan from fire, don’t forget to deliver it on a fire-resistant surface.
- If the fire gets out of your control, don’t endanger yourself and your family - get out of burning house as quickly as you can and call 911.
- Treat your burns only if the fire has been put out, everybody has been evacuated from the house or firefighters have been called.
- If your clothes caught fire, stop, drop and roll to extinguish them.
Never do the following:
- Never try to snuff out oil fire with water. It is the biggest mistake; water only increases a flame. Oil and water don't mix up. And in this situation it causes a tragic accident. Water is heavier than oil and therefore it falls on a bottom at once. (Oil isn't dissolved in water.) Water quickly heats up there and starts to evaporate strongly, that’s why oil splashes around, extending fire.
- Don't wave upon fire with a towel, an apron or other fabrics. You only extend a flame. Don't cover a pan with a dry towel to block a flame oxygen.
- Don't throw other ingredients for pastries (such as, flour, milk or sugar) into a flame. Though flour is similar to soda, it doesn’t react the same.
- Don't move a pan with the burning oil. One more widespread mistake: in attempts to move a flame to a less dangerous place, for example outside, some people begin to grab the pan and to transfer it. Because of a movement burning oil or fat can spread and turn everything around into a heavy fire or burn you or somebody else.
And the most important rule is: whatever you do, don’t panic. Clear thoughts and confident acts save you and your close friends and family in any situation.
We hope you’ll never need to use these advices.
It is possible to provide safety of your house on your own controlling all aspects of activity, but it’s more certain to be under professional security’s supervision. Home-Elite Inc. Security Company in Toronto area offers a great variety of controlling and protecting services for private residential and commercial sectors. Smoke, fire, sharp temperature increase, emergence of carbon monoxide and other sensors make your life more relaxing. All of them are progressive and simple decision for safety of the house and comfort of the residents. The devices can manage distance lights and all electric inventions, notify immediately about emergence of smoke and signal about a stranger presence in the house. These wired or wireless sensors are smart enough to not only detect a problem, but they also report on the monitoring company panel and they call firefighters, police or ambulance depending on a code of the worked sensor. If you aren’t in, smart gadgets report on your mobile phones about a problem. If only kids or disables are in - the system sends to adult residents a push notification message to their smartphones and calls appropriate services on its own.
Total security, supervision and automation control of your private area nevertheless you are is a correct and clever decision. Smart gadgets become a guarantee of tranquility and safety of everyday life.